Saturday, March 19, 2011

What Universe Do I Live In?

Sometimes I get the feeling that I am some sort of dimensional traveler. Like Quantum Leap, only without  greater cosmic purpose. (or any purpose at all beyond the Universe screwing with me)

There are so many times I specifically remember something, down to minute details, and other people who were present for the event look at me like I'm insane. They all agree on some alternate version that directly contradicts what I remember. That is to say, they all cut me off with, "What are you talking about? That's not what happened at all." and they launch into some elaborate tale of which I have no memory.

Or, as slightly different scenario, sometimes everybody else around me will insist I said or did something of which I have absolutely no recollection. I might say, "this is great, how do you make it?" And my friend says "Um... you're the one who taught me this recipe." And I will be confused, "What are you talking about? I've never eaten this before in my life!" Yeah, I don't really think I'm exaggerating there...

So, of course, there are two possibilities:

First, I have a terrible memory.

Second, I'm somehow experiencing dimensional fluxuations that take me to universes that almost, but not quite, match the ones I remember.

It should be obvious to even the most causal observer that the second option is the one that is most likely to be true.

So perhaps I just popped into a dimension where my other self actually did teach my friend that recipe. But it didn't happen in my continuity, in the universe I came from. Both our memories are completely accurate.

This is why I appreciate the shirt my wife got me, which says "If I don't remember it, it didn't happen." Because in my universe, it really didn't happen! I can prove it -- I don't remember it happening. See?


At any rate, if any of my friends or family are reading this blog, this is clearly the explanation for any incongruities they might think they observe. Sometimes -- frequently -- my recollection of events doesn't match those of anybody else who was present. So you need not bother replying to my posts with corrections. This is Merak's Universe, after all. You can go start your own Universe if you want to tell everybody about your version of events.

(Also, Des never told me to take out the trash. Just for the record. She totally got mad out of nowhere! I swear, the Des from my universe never asked me!)

(seriously though, I'm on actual meds for my memory and concentration. It's kind of a scary thing to not remember things from one minute to the next, and I make light of it mainly because it's better than getting depressed or angry at myself about it. But that said, you can't prove I'm not a dimensional traveler!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home